Saturday, July 25, 2015

Review: The House of Hades

*Contains spoilers for the previous books in this series*

Title: The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus #4)
Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: Hyperion books
Year published: 2013
How I got this book: I bought it at Strand Book Store in NYC
Why I read this book: I love Riordan's writing and this series.
My rating: 5 stars

Goodreads synopsis:
At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy's instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea's forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sealed, how will Percy and Annabeth be able to escape?

They have no choice. If the demigods don't succeed, Gaea's armies will never die. They have no time. In about a month, the Romans will march on Camp Half-Blood. The stakes are higher than ever in this adventure that dives into the depths of Tartarus. 

My thoughts:
I absolutely loved this book, and flew through it. I love all of the Seven, and care for them so much.  The Mark of Athena ended in the worst cliffhanger ever, so I was so desperate to get my hands on this and continuing the journey. 

In this book Percy and Annabeth are walking through Tartarus trying to find the Doors of Death, but most importantly: trying to stay alive. The fact Percy and Annabeth were the only POV's from Tartarus meant that we read a lot from their perspective. And I really liked that. I think they are the greatest couple, and they are so strong and great when they're together (when they're apart as well, but that's less exciting to read about).

The five other demigods are still on board on the Argo II, trying to find the other side of the Doors of Death, but not without obstacles for them either. The character development in some of them are crazy in this book, especially Hazel and Frank mature so much, and become stronger as a couple.

I'm not gonna say exactly what happens because I don't want to spoil too much, but I totally ship Leo with his new girl soooooo much, even though I have my doubt if it will actually work out. 

And last of all, Nico's revelation, I can't describe how much I enjoyed that. I did see it coming though, but I think that's because I was somewhat spoiled before reading this. I knew what the revelation was before reading this book, I just didn't know who it involved, but I was so pleasantly surprised! I really liked how it was incorporated into the story, and I hope that it'll help a lot of people, in it's own way.

So, as you probably understand I really enjoyed this book! I'm beyond sad that there's only on book left. I am currently reading that, but only a few chapters each day because I just don't want it to end. I'm not ready to say goodbye to any of these characters, even though I want to know how they're going to end up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment