Saturday, July 11, 2015

Review: All the Bright Places


Title: All the Bright Places
Author: Jennifer Niven
Publisher: Knopf
Year published: 2015
How I got this book: Scribd
Why I read this book: I didn't really know much about it, I saw it on a list, and decided to give it a try,
My rating: 3,5 stars

Goodreads synopsis:
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister's recent death. 

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it's unclear who saves whom. And when they pair u on a project to discover the "natural wonders! of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: IT's only with Violet that Finch can be himself - a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who's not such a freak after all. And it's only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet's world grows, Finch's begin to shrink.


My thoughts:
Even though this only got 3,5 stars I did enjoy it  lot. I just didn't really connect with the characters, they didn't seem realistic to me. I've read some review on goodreads, and it appears that this is a hit or miss. It was neither of them for me, but more hit than miss. 

The plot is completely fine, and it's not boring. We switch between Violet's and Finch's perspectives. I listened to this on audiobook, and I really liked that there were to different narrators. A man when we read from Finch's perspective, and a woman when we read from Violet's. 

I actually feel like I have a lot to say about his book, both good and bad, but I don't know how to put my feelings into words, and therefore I won't even try. This book is okay and worth the read, but don't go in with high expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment