Sunday, October 25, 2015

Review: Library of Souls


*Sort of spoilers*

Title: Library of Souls
Author: Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quirk
Year published: 2015
How I got this book: Bookdepository
My rating: 5 stars

Goodreads synopsis:

The adventure that began with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and continued with Hollow City comes to a thrilling conclusion with Library of Souls.

As the story opens, sixteen-year-old Jacob discovers a powerful new ability, an soon he's diving through history to rescue his peculiar companions from a heavily guarded fortress. Accompanying Jacob on his journey, are Emma Bloom, a girl with fire at her fingertips, and Addison MacHenry, a dog with a nose for sniffing out lost children.

They'll travel from modern-day London to the labyrinthe alleys of Devil's Acre, the most wretched slum in all of Victorian England. It's a place where the fate of peculiar children everywhere will be decided once and for all.

Like its predecessors, Library of Souls blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography. 

My thoughts:
I loved this book so much, and I'm so sad that this series is over.

This literally starts the moment Hollow City ends, which I really enjoyed, and it put me right back into the story, even it's been a year since I read the last one. This book was action packed all the way through, and I could feel it building up to something throughout the story, and it did not disappoint. 

The setting in this book was wonderful, and I felt like I was really there in Devil's Acre. I felt like we learned so much about peculiars, and how they live. I like the touch of ambro a lot, and that it was made out of Peculiar souls and that it melted the face of the users. 

And let's not forget Jacob's "new" power! I found it so fascinating that he could control hollows, and that he actually struggled with it. It wasn't like he discovered it, and then all of a sudden new how to use it perfectly. He really struggled, and almost got killed, because he didn't understand it. I actually startet to like hollows because of this power, and especially the first one he was able to do it with and the one carrying him around when he was injured. I felt connected to them, because Jacob felt connected to them, and I really wanted everything to be okay for them. 

We got so much information about how the wights happened, and the history of peculiardom. It was so fascinating, and I wish there was more. Everything is just so well thought out by Riggs, I don't understand how he does it.

 I don't even know what more to say about this book, besides the fact that I really enjoyed it. I, of course, wish Riggs would write more books, but I really liked the ending. It warmed my heart, and I don't feel the need for another story, at least not about the same people. The ending was just great, and I was positively surprised, as I was quite worried about it. But as always, Riggs did not disappoint me, and I enjoyed every page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment