Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Review: The Last Olympian

*Spoilers*


Title: The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #5)
Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: DisneyHyperion
Year published: 2009
How I got this book: I borrowed it from my library, but you can also get it at Bookdepository
My rating: 5 stars

Goodreads synopsis:

All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of victory are grim. Kronos's army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan's power only grows. 

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Not it's up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigod to stop the Lord of Time.

In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy's sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilisation rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.

My thoughts:
I thought that The Battle of the Labyrinth was my favourite, but this proved me wrong. This doesn't follow the same formula that the other books follow, and that is so refreshing and exciting. It's so incredibly fast paced that I didn't realise how far I'd gotten until I was over halfway in. I read this book in just one sitting.

So, the other books follow this formula where Percy get's to camp, goes on a quest, succeeds and saves the day. But in this book, there is no quest. Percy can't save Olympus on his own. There's action throughout the entire book, and the suspense keeps building up.

I'm really sad that the series is over, because I really like them. We get to know the characters so well, and, I at least, am very attached to them. I know that we have The Heroes of Olympus, and whilst I love that series as well, it's not the same. There, we read from different perspectives, and in these books we only read from one, and I love reading as Percy. He's not the smartest person, but he is so brave and funny. 

This book felt just right, all the way through. Everything happened in a way that made sense, and nothing was rushed or prolonged. It was just right. And, even though this may just be my brain overanalysing things, I noticed something that hinted at the next series. Like, how they Percy thinks that they're safe from Hera, for now. And "Now fight me! For today the House of Hades will be called the saviors of Olympus." Again, this might just be me thinking too much, as I read The Heroes of Olympus series earlier this year, but it's something to think about, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment