Sunday, June 21, 2015

Review: None of the Above



Title: None of the Above
Author: I. W. Gregorio
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Year published: 2015
How I got this book: As an audiobook on Scribd
Why I read this book: I've seen it around, but never found out what it was about, so I just jumped in it
My rating: 5 stars

Goodreads synopsis:
What if everything you knew about yourself changed in an instant?

When Kristin Lattimer is voted homecoming queen, it seems like another piece of her ideal life has fallen into place. She's a champion hurdler with a full scholarship to college and she's madly in love with her boyfriend. In fact, she's decided that she's ready to take things to the next level with him. 

But Kristin's first time isn't the perfect moment she's planned - something is very wrong. A visit to the doctor reveals the truth: Kristin is intersex, which means that though she outwardly looks like a girl, she has male chromosomes, not to mention boy "parts".

Dealing with her body is difficult enough, but when her diagnosis is leaked to the whole school, Kristin's entire identity is thrown into question. As her world unravels, can she come to terms with her new self?

My thoughts:
I loved this book so much, and I think it deals with a topic that's not really discussed much. Honestly, I didn't even know what being intersex meant until I read this book. I can imagine that this book can help someone going through this so much. 

I found the main character, Kristin, extremely likable and I agreed with her feelings and how she reacted. Several times she thinks of herself as a freak, especially in the beginning, but as she learns more about it she understands that she is, indeed, still a woman. Her relationship with herself changes slowly throughout the book, and she grow more confident. She opens up more to the people who care about her, and she learns that she's no different than the rest of us. 

As a general I enjoyed reading about most of the characters, even though they weren't all likable. Their relationship with Kristin all seemed so real, and the relationship with her father was so heart warming. He did everything to learn about her condition, to try and understand it without any judgement. He truly loved her unconditionally, and he does everything in his power to know that Kristin knows that as well. 

As for the romance part of this story, I liked it. It wasn't to much, and it wasn't the only thing that mattered to Kristin. I've read too many book where the main character only cares about the love interest. But here it's so different. Yes, it matters to her - obviously - but it's not the most important thing for her. She moves on and learn to live her life without being dependent on another person. I loved Darren has her love interest, even though I found it quite obvious that they were going to end up together when they began talking. I adored him as a person, and I wished I had a Darren in my life as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment