Sunday, January 8, 2017

View From Page Thirty: Anna Karenina



Book: Anna Karenina
Author: Leo Tolsoy
Genre: Fiction

Goodreads synopsis:
Leo Tolsoy's classic story of doomed love is one of the most admired novels in world literature. Generations of readers have been enthralled by his magnificent heroine, the unhappily married Anna Karenina, and her tragic affair with dashing Count Vronsky.

In their world frivolous liaisons are commonplace, but Anna and Vronsky's consuming passion makes them a target for scorn and leads to Anna's increasing isolation. The heartbreaking trajectory of their relationship contrasts sharply with the colorful swirl of friends and family members who surround them, especially the newlyweds Kitty and Levin, who forge a touching bond as they struggle to make a life together. Anna Karenina is a masterpiece not only because of the unforgettable woman at its core and the stark drama at her fate, but also because it explores and illuminates the deepest questions about how to live a fulfilled life.

My view from page thirty:
Picking up this book is quite a big project for me, though I am really enjoying it so far. It has been sitting on my shelf, and with it's size it looks quite intimidating. I have always wanted to read Anna Karenina, but it is not just a book you pick up and fly through. I am reading other books at the same time, to make sure that I don't get bored, but so far I think the book is great.

I know the main plot of the novel, and I have seen the movie, but there are still a lot of things that I don't know. I have only seen the movie once, and that was when it came out, so most of the details are forgotten. Because of this, I am excited to continue on with the book, as I don't really know what is going to happen. It's definitely a slow read for me, but I am determined to finish it. Hopefully before summer. I am so glad that the copy has a character list, because I am thirty pages in, and already having problems remembering who is who, with all these characters and names. 

I will not be writing a full review of this book once I am finished, which is why I'm doing view from page thirty instead. I'm hopeful, and I do think that I'll really enjoy this book. And hopefully it'll get easier remembering the characters as I get more invested with the story.


Have you read Anna Karenina? And if you have, what did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment