Thursday, September 24, 2015

Review: The Sea of Monsters

*This will contain spoilers, as it is the second book in a series*

Title: The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2)
Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Year published: 2007
How I got this book: Borrowing from the school library
My rating: 4 stars

Goodreads synopsis:
Percy Jackson's seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get... well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy's friend Annabeth brings more bad new: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.

In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters, to save their beloved camp.  But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family - one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honour or simply a cruel joke.


My thoughts:
I loved this just as much the second time around, if not more. Yes, I know what's going to happen, but it's just so fun that it doesn't really matters.

I love how the friendship between Percy and Annabeth evolves in this book, and that they become closer and can trust each other more. And they both grow as characters as well, especially Percy after visiting C.C. resort, and I just love that. They're still only children, and I can't get over how brave they are, doing all these things. 

Percy isn't the hero in this book, at least not for the camp. Clarisse get's the quest, and Percy and Annabeth sneaks out of the camp, and help Clarisse on her way. 

I honestly don't really know what to say about this book, besides the fact that I absolutely love this series. It's so light hearted, and as I'm currently reading The Odyssey as well, I recognise things that Riordan has incorporated that I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't reading The Odyssey. It's so obvious that the man knows what he's writing about, and it's so nice. That way you know that pretty much everything he says is true, and you learn a lot whilst reading the books.

I recommend this series to everyone, no matter what age and gender. Everyone should at least try to read this, it's so amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment